Thursday, July 29, 2010

the GreenHouse..

Well here it is the end of July. I have not had alot of time to keep updates on here the way I should. But will see if I can catch everyone up.
First.. the greenhouse...
We did not have tomatoes the first week of June this year. But the first week of July we did. Our tomato trees are growing quickly and are heavily producing. Many of our plants we started from seed in the aero garden. This worked very well for us, and actually our plants started from seed have been more productive than the bought plants.
Our red peppers, also housed in the greenhouse are HUGE. averaging 1# each. And the tomatillos have THOUSANDS of fruit per bush. We have already made salsa, and in actuality, I should be doing tomatos instead of sitting here typing. But.... I will get to it in a few.
Out side the greenhouse has been pretty productive as well.
We decided to try broccoli, cauliflower and brussel sprouts this year.
Initially, I was very disappointed with the broccoli. the heads were not huge like we get in the store. But of course were quite tasty. I didnt pull the plants, and they have continued to HEAVILY produce. They dont make MAIN heads again, but put up hundreds of stalks of tender and flavorful sprouts. harvested a couple times a week, I am putting ALLOT of broccoli in the freezer. I highly recommend this plant if you like broccoli. some soils dont do well with it, but ours seems to be doing great. Our brussels are just taking off, and the cauliflower plants are huge but still no heads. Im told that doesnt happen till more toward fall.
Cabbage.. HOLY WOW.. we have 12# cabbage. They really seem to enjoy the dirt.
Our first batch of lettuce bolted in the recent heat. But luckily I had already planned ahead and replanted for the next batch. How could be enjoy BLT's without our own fresh lettuce.
Our beans came and went fast, for the most part. We do still get small amounts but we already canned the majority. Our peas also did quite well. I am not so sure I will mess with them again tho. even tho I have frozen up several batchs, they are just SOOO time consuming to shell.
Bumper crops of swiss chard.. has lots of vitamin packed greens in the freezer for winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment